We thank you all for the support that we have received to date in opposing the proposed redevelopment of The Islamic Academy of Manchester as postgraduate student flats. Below is a reminder of the various ways in which can help us. Note there is a sense of urgency now as the planning application consultation expiry date is 10th September 2013.
Below are some updated action points by which you can assist our campaign.
1. Object to the planning application
– Contact the Head of Planning, Julie Roscoe, and the case officer, Sue Wills as
as soon as possible:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Julie Roscoe)
Email: email@example.com (Sue Wills)
Postal address: Manchester City Council, P.O. Box 532, Town Hall, Manchester, M60 2LA
Planning Department (to object in person): Manchester City Council, Planning Service, Number One First Street, Manchester, M15 4FN (Sat Nav M1 5DE)
When Objecting to the plans, in particular make reference to the eviction of the Islamic Academy of Manchester from the ‘Sunday School’ building to make flats.
– Make a comment directly via the Manchester Planning Portal. Links below:
Click on the ‘Make a Public Comment’ button – note you will have to Register and Log In before you can make your comment.
Make your own comment about what you object to but if possible stick to planning issues and try to refer back to the actual plans themselves.
2. Lobby the City Councillor and MP of your own ward and of the City Centre
The MP for the City Centre is Lucy Powell MP (http://lucypowell.org.uk/)
Postal address: Lucy Powell MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA.
3. Raise your concerns with English Heritage
(Historic Buildings Inspector, Julian.firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. Raise your concerns with your local councillors.
The councillors for the Ardwick Ward are:
Tina Hewitson: email@example.com 0161 637 7045
Mavis Smitheman: firstname.lastname@example.org 0161 683 5282
Bernard Priest: email@example.com 0161 740 8407 (Home).
3. Sign the online petition, http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/islamicacademy/signatures
4. Raise awareness of our campaign in the community
You can do this by spreading our petition link, asking people to take part in our campaign and joining our Facebook and Twitter pages.
5. Financial support for legal and campaign costs
You can quickly and easily make an online donation via the Donate page on our website or via Paypal (link on our homepage).
6. Moral support
We request your thoughts and prayers to help us succeed against this plan to turn a vibrant place of worship into unwanted student flats.
7. Contact the media outlets who have written misleading reports about the development plans.
These articles make no reference to the plight of The Islamic Academy (see our website for details of these articles which appeared in the Manchester Evening News and thebusinessdesk.com)
Read 0ur full press statement by clicking here